In this IELTS Writing Task 2 series, I look at how to write an IELTS Writing task 2 introduction. This first part focuses on the basics of writing an introduction and gives some model answers for opinion questions.
This is the first part. To view the next parts, click for part 2 (discussion questions) and part 3 (two-part and problem-solving questions).
What are the goals of an introduction?
- introduce the topic of the task to the reader (Task Response)
- give your answer to the question (Task Response)
- explain the structure of your essay to the reader (Coherence & Cohesion)
How to write an IELTS Writing Task 2 Introduction: The Two Parts
- The Topic Introduction
- introduce the topic (Task Response) of the task to the reader
- The General Answer and Plan
- give your answer (Task Response) to the question
- explain the structure (Coherence & Cohesion) of your essay to the reader
The 2 Sentences You Need for an Introduction
- Topic Introduction –Paraphrase the topic. Do this by “restating the question in your own words”.
- General Answer & Plan – Give a general answer to the question (e.g. your opinion) and whenever possible, write your ideas in the same order as your body paragraphs will be (Body A & Body B).
Model Answers for Opinion Questions
As well as making money, businesses also have social responsibilities. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
While the primary purpose of a business is most often to earn money, some people believe that businesses also have social obligations (1). I strongly agree with the idea that businesses have responsibilities to society, especially in terms of their environmental policies (Body A) and providing good working conditions (Body B) (2). 48 words
Some people claim that not enough of the waste from homes is recycled. They say that the only way to increase recycling is for governments to make it a legal requirement
To what extent do you think laws are needed to make people recycle more of their waste?
Although recycling has become more common in recent years, there are people who feel that the percentage of home waste that is recycled is still not high enough and that the only way to encourage people to recycle more is through stricter laws (1). While I agree that new laws can help encourage recycling, I believe that other methods are also possible (2). 61 words
Opinion Questions for Extra Practice
Only reading about how to write an IELTS writing task 2 introduction is not enough. You need to practice! Here are some opinion questions to practice with. Keep working hard!
1. Governments should spend money on railways rather than roads. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
2. In some countries, many more people are choosing to live alone nowadays than in the past. Do you think this is a positive or negative development?
3. Some people think that the only purpose of working hard is to earn money. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?