Have trouble thinking of ideas for Task 2? This lesson on IELTS Writing Task 2 idea planning can help. If you need to learn the basics of idea planning, it’s a good idea to start from the planning lesson. However, if you’ve already learned the basics, this is a perfect place to continue on from.
The topic in this lesson is on the theme of economic progress and is from Cambridge IELTS 11. Use this planning technique to develop your ability to come up with Task 2 ideas quickly and easy.
Watch the video lesson below:
Why do IELTS Writing Task 2 Idea Planning?
Well, the simple answer is that planning will help you get a better score. Many students have trouble thinking of ideas, and writing lots of plans (10 minutes each) take much less time than writing lots of essays (40 minutes each).
Many governments think that economic progress is their most important goal. Some people, however, think that other types of progress are equally important for a country.
Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
Source: Cambridge IELTS 11
Step 1: Analyze the Question
What kind of question is it?
What is the general topic?
Measurements of progress for a country
What is the specific topic?
Economics progress vs other forms
What is the question asking?
Are other forms of progress equally important to economic progress for a country?
Step 2: Create the Skeleton Plan
- Introduction: paraphrase topic à opinion = other forms of progress are equally important
- Body 1 Topic: why governments think economic progress is most important
- Body 2 Topic: why some people see other types of progress as important
- Conclusion: re-paraphrase intro and opinion with a couple of extra details
Step 3: Generate Body Paragraph Details
Body Paragraph 1: why governments think economic progress is most important
- Economic progress is measurable
- Governments need money to operate. Economic progress provides that money
- Economic progress can lead to progress in other areas (health, education, etc.)
- Economic progress is the most commonly compared measurement of national status
Body Paragraph 2: why some people see other types of progress as important
- Environmental Health – people experience this everyday, government only sees numbers
- Public Health – money is nothing without staying healthy
- Rich/Poor Divide – Even if country is wealthy, without economic equality people may not be happy
That’s it! Use this planning technique with lots of other Task 2 Questions.
Need some questions for use for IELTS Writing Task 2 Idea Planning? Click here to get our free ebook.